Y’all Ready for the 2019 Texas State Fair?
This year Texas celebrates the 133rd edition of the State Fair of Texas®. The usual food, festivities and family fun will be in full swing, starting September 27th at Fair Park in Dallas.
Planning is almost complete for this historic event and the State Fair team is ready to bring even more fun, entertainment and food choices than there has ever been. This year, you’ll be able to choose from more than 100 free attractions, 70 midway rides, and countless other activities that are set up across the fairgrounds.
To find out more about the amazing things you’ll be able to see, do and even eat at this year’s State Fair, you can go to BigTex.com.
According to the folks at the State Fair of Texas®, here’s a sampling of some of this year’s new and exciting offerings:
- “WORLD OF BIRDS SHOW PRESENTS: SOAR!” Steve Martin and his stunning array of birds from all across the globe have flown out of retirement and nested back into the historic Fair Park Band Shell for an all-new, high-flying adventure. With a cast of new species, as well as memorable feathered friends, “SOAR!” brings the aviary world up-close to the audience with bird releases from the Texas Star Ferris wheel and flyovers just inches from guests’ heads.
- An all-new family-friendly experience presented by McDonald’s, “¡FIESTAS DE MARIONETAS!” is one of this year’s not-to-miss shows. Surrounded by lights and beautiful landscaping, a small village of more than 85 handmade marionettes come to life to celebrate a fiesta of color, culture, and creativity. Be sure to stick around for the backstage tour and craft activity after the show.
- Produced in partnership by the State Fair of Texas and the Dallas Historical Society, “TEXAS CINEMA” focuses on the history and impact of film performers and creators from the Lone Star State, as well as the depiction of Texas through film. Incorporating a substantial amount of video and other media elements, the Great Hall will come alive with interactive opportunities and valuable historical artifacts.
- Be witness to Mighty Mike’s incredible feats of strength in the “MIGHTY MIKE SHOW.” A bender of horseshoes, juggler of bowling balls and sledgehammers, and all-around charmer, Mighty Mike’s funny performance showcases strongman strength techniques dating back to the 1920’s and, dare we say, questionable dance routines.
- Developed exclusively for the State Fair of Texas, “SPLASHDANCE!” combines a high-energy performance of professional dancers and acrobats with the wowing Esplanade fountains. Set to festive music, this spectacular new show will dazzle and entertain guests of all ages.
- Bring your appetite. State Fair foodies can look forward to several new food destinations across the fairgrounds. With an additional soft-area by the Children’s Aquarium, families can sit back and relax while enjoying a new kid-friendly atmosphere and cuisine. Not to mention, it’s the perfect viewing spot to kick back and watch the nightly Kroger Starlight Parade.
- Midway ride lovers can add seven new rides to their list for the 2019 State Fair of Texas:Dancing Clown, Tilt-a-Whirl, Satori Yachts, Crazy Surf, Beach Party, Moon Raker, and Skyliner. DANCING CLOWN, TILT-A-WHIRL, and SATORI YACHTS are all new rides sure to please any kiddo. Both CRAZY SURF and BEACH PARTY are new attractions guaranteed to satisfy thrill-seekers, while still being fun for the whole family. That’s not all we’ve got for our thrill-seekers though – MOON RAKER gives fairgoers the adventure of space flight without ever leaving Earth, reaching its full height, the top of the ride tilts and rotates as the entire ride spins. Finally, SKYLINER is a thrilling family swing ride providing passengers with a breathtaking aerial experience.
- Returning for the 56th year, the UNITED STATES MARINE DRUM & BUGLE CORPS will perform at the State Fair of Texas on 10 different days. Beginning September 27, they will perform every day with their final performance on Sunday, October 6.
- Chocoholics unite! This year, Mundo Latino will present CASA DE CHOCOLATE, “A SWEET INDULGENT AFFAIR.” This exhibit offers fairgoers a one-of-a-kind glimpse into the origin and history of chocolate along with demos, classes, and loads of amazing chocolate.
- The African American Museum, Dallas will present the widely acclaimed exhibition, THE KINSEY AFRICAN AMERICAN ART & HISTORY COLLECTION, which celebrates the achievements and contributions of black Americans from 1595 to present times. Considered one of the most comprehensive surveys of African American history and culture outside the Smithsonian Institution, the exhibition will feature over 150 of the shared treasures amassed by Shirley and Bernard Kinsey during their five decades of marriage.
- Ready! Set! HIKE! Sports fans can prepare for another round of iconic football games inside the historic Cotton Bowl Stadium during the 2019 Fair. Returning on Saturday, September 28, the STATE FAIR CLASSIC brings its annual matchup between Grambling State University and Prairie View A&M University. The rivalry continues Saturday, October 12 when Cotton Bowl Stadium hosts the AT&T RED RIVER SHOWDOWN, when the University of Texas Longhorns play the University of Oklahoma Sooners. Closing out the 2019 Fair on Saturday, October 19, Texas Southern University and Southern University will meet in the historic Cotton Bowl for the STATE FAIR SHOWDOWN.